Friday, August 18, 2006

Dishcloths

I finally received my copy of Mason-Dixon Knitting from the library the other day and have been reading through it. It is a really great book with some knitting patterns but more fun is all the stories and interviews that Kay and Ann share.

I am intrigued with the dishcloth concept. I have never made one so I went digging in my stash and found one lonely ball of Sugar 'n Cream cotton in a mauve color. Not my first choice in color since it doesn't go with my kitchen at all, but for testing purposes it will work! I then went searching for patterns. I like the one in the Mason-Dixon Knitting book but I only have one plain color so I will wait and try it another time.

Searching I found The Dishcloth boutique. She has lots of dishcloth patterns that have been submitted to her by others and the one from the Mason-Dixon book is there too. It is called Textured Slip Stitch Dishcloth. The really cool thing about this website is if you hold your cursor over the name of the dishcloth pattern a little picture will pop up in the square in the center of the page. Pretty cool .... ok I am easily entertained!

I also found this article Putting Cotton Through the Paces by Jo Anne Tracy. She compares 5 different brands of cotton, Lion Cotton, Sugar'n Cream, Peaches'n Creme, Sand and Cottontots for shrinkage, stain release, absorbency, and softness. You will have to go to the article to find out which brand she rates the best.

I chose the pattern Bamboo Cloth Variation 1 from the Dishcloth boutique website and am about half way done. Can't wait to try it out and see how it works as well as how it washes.

No comments: