Since I last posted I made up two gowns with the idea I had. Knitting the top of the gown and then using fabric to make the skirt. This works up much faster than knitting a whole gown and looks pretty good. I did one boys dress and one girls dress.
I used Libby Wilson's Dress pattern to knit the top of the gown using Patons Beehive yarn and size 3.25mm needles. Once the top was knit I measured the width of the top, added 1" for finishing off the back seam and about 4" to add some gathering. I machine sewed the skirt to the top, added trim and was finished.
The angel that goes with the boys gown is from LucyBug. She has a pretty angel wrap on her website too.
I am very excited to have received a wedding gown and a bridesmaid dress from a donor who wants the dresses made into baby gowns and internment items. I have been working on the bridesmaid dress which is a pretty light blue with a small amount of beading on the front. There is also a white satin insert in the front. It has been fun and challenging to come up with ideas on how best to use the fabric.
The boys vested outfit (size 2-3lbs) is from Newborns In Need patterns set#3. I highly recommend this pattern set as there are some very beautiful patterns in there.
The gown (size 2-3lb) is a free pattern from CareWear website. They have some wonderful free patterns on there for preemies and newborns.
There are two other gowns that have been sewn up and one more newborn size that is cut out. As well as 4 buntings from the Carewear bunting pattern.
Most of the bridesmaid dress has been used up. With the rest I plan to cut out 3.5" squares and mix and match them with the wedding dress fabric to make some small quilts.