Can you believe that I will have posted 3 times in July. That must be a new record since I didn't even post once in June. And I have more crafty things that I have finished to share with you.
First up is Roam. Yes, it is finally finished. I started this in September last year after my wonderful husband bought me yarn for our anniversary. I am not sure why it took so long to finish since I absolutely love it. It is warm, squishy, has a hood, zips up. The only thing I can think of is that it is a big project with a stitch pattern other than stockinette or garter. I tend to get bored easily so I would put it down and not work on it for months at a time.
Pattern: Roam by Laura Chau found on knitty.com
Yarn: Berroco Ultra Alpaca. I used 7 skeins because I made both the body and the sleeves shorter than what the pattern calls for.
Needles: Size 4mm
Pattern Stitch: Garter Slip Stitch V
Onto some charity stuff. I've been knitting hats for the Assistance League of the Eastside. I thought I had written about this wonderful group but I don't see anything in my quick scroll through the blog.
One of the projects this group has is to partner with Fred Meyer and provide a hat or scarf to over 2,100 school kids in October. Fred Meyer provides new school clothing and when the kids are done shopping they can pick out a hand knit scarf or hat for themselves. And it helps kids that are close to where I live. You can find out more about Operation School Bell from the website.
This hat is the 3am Cable Hat by Smariek. Knit with Patons Astra acrylic yarn. I have a few more hats to show you but they aren't photographed yet. You will just have to wait until next time!
And lastly, I've been doing some sewing. I have almost used up a huge wedding dress that was given to me to use for Heavenly Angels In Need.
It seems that the fabric from this dress is never ending --- not that that is a bad thing, it's just that I get bored and want to move on to another dress that I have which has more beading and lacy trims.
There are actually 5 boys romper outfits but one wasn't finished for the picture. It is the same as the larger two that are pictures. The pattern is from Newborns In Need Patterns Set #3. I love this pattern since it is easy to put together and looks so "boyish". I find it hard to find less frilly outfits for the boys. The smaller outfit will fit a 2-3lb preemie and the larger ones are newborn size.
The 5 dresses and bonnets are also made from the same wedding dress. I used all the fancy beading and lace on these gowns and saved the plain fabric for the boys outfits.
The two gowns on the right are made from the Angel Gown pattern found on Newborns In Need website and the three on the left are made from a pattern found on the Threads Of Love website. I chose not to add the sleeves and just use bias tape to finish the sleeve seams. Some of the hospitals and photographers that use these gowns have asked us to make the gowns sleeveless or with larger arm holes so that the babies are easier to dress.
Note about Heavenly Angels In Need Website: Currently the website is down while it is being redesigned. Please check back in a few days to see the new and improved site!