Monday, July 24, 2006

Quilting Retreat


Came back yesterday from the quilting retreat I attended to a very hot house. It was about 36C here with no airconditioning ... made me want to go back to the airconditioned retreat.

I got a lot accomplished, made some new friends and enjoyed visiting with old friends. Had lots of yummy food to eat and sewed my heart out without any interruptions.

I made this really cute 3D pinwheel quilt top. I had always wanted to try this pattern. You make the triangles for the pinwheels by folding squares into triangle shapes and then catching the raw edge of the triangle in the seam allowance. This leaves the pinwheel free of the background fabric. It should be fun for a little girl or boy to play with.

I also started this star wallhanging quilt for myself. The stars are from a Roxanne Carter book called Star Studded Quilts. I still need to add some borders to it and haven't decided what I want to do. I have this beautiful autumn maple leaf print fabric that I want to use for the outer most border but I think it needs something else in between. Just not sure what yet. Maybe something with triangles.

Onto shopping ... I bought a Brandywine Design pattern called Amy's Sampler. It is so cute with little hedgehogs along the bottom. I want to do it in the Three Sisters fabric line Faded Memories. I love the soft colours. I also bought some fabric (of course) and got a couple other patterns from door prizes.

Had a wonderful time and can't wait to go back next year!

1 comment:

MaryMGlynn said...

these turned out lovely! Beautiful work!!!
One day I will learn this most amazing skill!!!
-Mary